<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 30, 2003

My Letter to the Kerry Campaign 

Preface: For some time Sen. John Kerry has been my response when anyone asked me who I thought would be the best Democrat to beat GW Bush. Lately, I haven't been so sure of that. I wrote them the following letter explaining why and letting them know what could be done to regain my confidence and earn my financial and volunteer support.

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been watching Sen. Kerry's campaign with great interest since before he officially announced. Like many, I believed he would be the best man to go up against the disaster that is the current White House occupant. Today, I am not so sure.

With Gov. Dean's recent surge in the polls, the other Democratic candidates have begun a series of attacks on him that I'm sure Mr. Bush's svengali, Karl Rove, is very pleased with. Sadly, Sen. Kerry has joined this chorus. Make no mistake, I am not a Dean supporter, and I agree that the primaries are the appropriate time to define oneself against one's opponents; however, providing the incumbent with material for future attack ads against whomever the nominee is seems to me unnecessary. For example, the question at the most recent debate which asked all candidates who believed Gov. Dean could unseat Mr. Bush to raise their hands. Not a single one of the other candidates did so. Don't you people realize that that will be the first in a series of attack ads against Gov. Dean should he prevail in the primary?

I still believe that Sen. Kerry is the best person to go up against the unelected White House occupant and make him the first zero-term "President" ever. I'm sure all of you working for Sen. Kerry agree with me - you wouldn't be devoting your time and effort to the campaign otherwise. But the bottom line is this: I have considered donating to the Kerry campaign, but have held off until the primary draws near, mostly to make sure I don't regret any donation I make. Lately I don't like what I'm seeing.

A huge step toward gaining my steadfast financial and volunteer support would be for Sen. Kerry to state, clearly and unequivocally, that he believes two things. 1) That he or any of his primary opponents would be a vast improvement over the "leadership" of George W. Bush, and could in fact beat him, and 2) that he pledges to support the eventual Democratic nominee, whomever that may be. When these two things have occurred, I promise to donate my time and money generously to Sen. Kerry's campaign.

Please consider this request. I don't think it's extraordinary. Stop participating in the circular firing squad against the other candidates and start focusing on the larger goal, finding the best man to get GW out of the peoples' house. I know many Democrats feel as I do, so Sen. Kerry's campaign may depend upon it.

Regards,
Chris Myles
Programmer/Analyst
Orlando, Florida

This page is powered by Blogger. Woo woo.   Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

RSS Feed is here.